We finally got around to taking Mady and Noah to the snow. Our friends Josh and Johanna invited us to go up to their family's Condo in Soda Springs and the timing could not have been more perfect! I had less than a week to get the family all geared up for the snow, so I spent all last week running around from one clearance sale to the next. I found snow bibs and gloves for both kids, a snow jacket for mady, and boots for the entire family. Thanks goodness for REI and Big 5 clearance sales! Snow gear is not that easy to find in Sonoma County this time of year!
We knew with the big President's day weekend and the storm coming into the Sierra's we were in for a long drive. We left right after Mady got out of school on Friday and got up there in just over 5 hours. We hit traffic in Fairfield, Davis, Sacramento, and of course Auburn. But it was so exciting when we saw the first bit of snow fall. The kids really enjoyed that part of the drive which took about an hour because of highway restrictions and check points.
Once we got there, the snow just kept on falling. I think the kids had the most fun in the condo parking lot. There was so much snow to play in, and it was nice fresh powdery snow. Saturday morning Josh and Johanna's boys, Kyle and Alex, built a sled hill for the kids. Mady was so tough, she just started dragging sleds up to the top of that hill over and over. They also built a snow cave with daddy and Mady walked through really deep snow.
Later Saturday we walked over to Soda Springs Snow Park. They had a kids area designed for kids under age 6 or so. Mady and Noah rode on the tube carousel and also did some tubing down a small hill. That was a lot of work for mom and dad, but they had fun. Ski and snowboard rental was also included in the package, so Mady also got to try out some skiing on a small hill. She really did great and even rode the conveyor belt thing to the top of the hill a few times. Noah wanted to "skateboard," so we almost got him set up with a snow board but then we realized he was exhausted and should go take a nap. Josh took him for a ride while Mady continued skiing for a while.
I have been knitting a lot of random things lately and am in the process of trying to perfect my design for a Sigg Cozy. I have made a few of these, but this is the first one I made with a handle knitted right in as one piece. I started the handle with a provisional cast on, knitted the handle in garter stitch, and then used a cable cast on to start the rest of the stitches around the top and then just knitted into the live stitches from the beginning and joined it all in the round. That probably doesn't make any sense, but it worked out pretty well. Maybe someday I will post the pattern if I can figure out how to write patterns.
I think I have been a little obsessed with knitting wash cloths for the kids. I tried out a bunch of designs, but I think I have found one that I like the best. It is just a simple seed stitch cloth with a garter stitch border. Here are my latest three:
Here is a collection of some of the others I have tried. Some are too big, some are too small, some have seen too much bleach and hot water, but the kids love them all!
I have made a couple more visor beanies and realized I don't think I have linked to this great pattern. This is a kids pattern by
Kathryn Ivy that is available for free download.
Hat for my friend Kris. I made the with Merino 5 wool by Cascade Yarns. I love this merino wool and love how the hat came out - so soft!
Same hat for my mom in Patons Merino Wool. This wool says it is medium weight, but it knits up way bulkier.
I made this hat for Mady in some purple wool she had on hand. I tried doing a Raglan style decrease at the top, but it came out kind of short. She likes it though.
Even though I am perfectly content knitting hats and wash cloths, I feel compelled to try and knit some socks. So with some good luck and a whole lot of patience, I am hoping the items pictured below will some day turn into a lovely pair of hand knitted socks for me.
2 comments:
What a perfect weekend in the snow! Mady is so cute on those skis! Good luck with the socks...I can't wait to see them!
I read this forever ago, but I'm just now making it back to comment, shhessh, I'm lame lately!
So your hats are just awesome! I'm dying to know if you've started the socks and how you're doing with them.
If I don't get a chance to talk to you tomorrow, have a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Post a Comment