Friday, March 13, 2009

Quick Update

The kids came down with a bad cough and a cold early this week, so we had to cancel our trip to go camping this weekend. They really are not "better enough" to head out this weekend. We were really looking forward to going camping and dirt bike riding this weekend too, since Mady had her first solo ride on the PW50 motorcycle last weekend. I guess she rode around the court a bunch with no training wheels. I didn't get pictures or video since I wasn't home that afternoon, but I got to hear all about it. Sounds like she did a great job!

Josh brought home a Harley Davidson jacket that someone had given him for the kids - so it is the perfect costume for riding the Harley. Here is a video:




Last weekend I decided I wanted to knit some hand warmers for myself to wear at work, since it is always so cold in my office in the mornings. So I got out some left over merino 5 wool and set to work. I made up the pattern and did these in the round. All was going great until I ran out of wool with about 6 rows to go on the second one! I started to dig about for scraps - but there was no way I had enough. Here was my stopping point.

From Knitting


Since I didn't think I would make it to the yarn store any time soon (this yarn is only sold locally at one store) I started off on another pair. These took almost exactly one full ball rowan cotton wool. I made these a little longer since I new I wouldn't run out (I had a back up ball).

From Knitting

By way, I ended up making it out to the store after all and finding the right yarn to finish the orange ones, so now I have two pairs of hand warmers. I am finding them very practical for both home and work - I can even knit in them!

I made another market bag, but I changed the pattern up a bit. I was originally going to give this as a gift, but the bottom turned out off center with the handles, so I am going to have to rewrite the pattern. I have no idea what went wrong and I am sure no one would notice but me, but I can't give it as a gift this way, so I will be starting another one this weekend and hopefully I will get it right this time!

From Knitting


I finally started knitting some socks! I have consulted two books, taken some measurements of my foot, and even knitted a gauge swatch. I am using a pattern from Getting Started Knitting Socks but may make some adjustments based on the general instructions for socks in Knitting Rules. I really like the Knitting Rules book because all the instructions are kind of general so that you make things without set patterns, it is also just a fun book to read. I am certain that there are specific required techniques for knitting socks that I definitely don't know how to do, but I guess I will learn them when I get there (if I ever get there - this is about 1 hour of work pictured below).

From Knitting

No comments: